BLACK SEA YOUNG AMBASSADORS PROGRAMME
2022 – 2024
The Black Sea is looking for its new young ambassadors who will be a BRIDGE between scientists and the general public!
The Black Sea Young Ambassadors Programme
The Black Sea Young Ambassadors Programme (BSYAP) is an ongoing programme developed in September 2020, under the H2020-funded Black Sea CONNECT CSA, to unite youth for the future of the Black Sea, for a healthy, resilient, and the sustainable Black Sea.
The first cohort of young ambassadors has played an important role in advocating marine sciences and a sustainable blue economy in the Black Sea, and in promoting the goals of the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (Black Sea SRIA). The BSYAs have brought a novel dynamic to the Black Sea CONNECT CSA, especially regarding visibility and dissemination efforts. They have become a voice for the Black Sea youth in different platforms and places, with the vision of re-connecting and creating the missing links in the Black Sea between citizens and our oceans and seas, as well as policy and science. Last but not least, they have conducted bottom-up and local activities in their countries within the framework of the Awareness Raising Campaign.
After the positive impact of the first cohort and the success of the programme, the BSYAP has been linked with the H2020-funded BRIDGE-BS RIA project, to increase the impact of the program and its visibility and to ensure its sustainability. With BRIDGE-BS, not only the foundations of the BSYAs’ work and efforts but also the bridge they have established between society and science will be getting stronger and broader in scope.
Become the new voice of the Black Sea!
With the aim of engaging a wider community of early career ocean professionals and equipping them with the necessary skills to become actors for change; the Black Sea Young Ambassadors Programme is looking for a new cohort of passionate and creative Young Ambassadors.
In the new cohort, each Ambassador will be asked to work more specifically on at least one of the Blue Economy themes according to their profession, such as Blue Bioeconomy & Biotechnology, Marine fisheries, aquaculture, and living resources, Marine non-living resources (oil and gas, other minerals) Marine renewable energy (Offshore wind energy, wave energy), Maritime transport, Research & Education, Tourism (Coastal and Cruise), Shipbuilding and repair, Cultural Heritage. Ambassadors will be asked to focus their activity more specifically on the sector(s) that they are interested in/have experienced.
The engagement of the Young Ambassadors will enhance the visibility and actions of the Blue Growth Initiative in the Black Sea, increase the countries’ potential, and spread the research outputs and activities related to the Black Sea CONNECT and BRIDGE-BS.
The Young Ambassadors will collaborate with experienced mentors in the relevant countries around the Black Sea and Europe, to promote mutual understanding, increase leadership skills, and prepare youth to make a difference in their communities.
Information about the Programme
Within this program, Young Black Sea Ambassadors from Black Sea riparian countries, including the Republic of Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, the Republic of Turkey, and Ukraine, as well as the Republic of Moldova, together with the ambassadors of different sea basins, will engage with key actors from political, social, economic and scientific fields to develop the necessary skills to become actors for change in 2022-2024 and beyond.
Objectives of the Black Sea Young Ambassadors Programme
- Training and equipping a new generation of young Black Sea citizens with knowledge, practical skills, and the potential to address issues on marine science, science & policy integration, and sustainable blue economy in the region.
- Developing a network of young influencers willing to be actors for positive change in their communities, countries, and beyond.
- Contributing to, and promoting, a richer mutual understanding of, values, identity, history, and cultures through a collective learning experience.
- Empowering the Young Ambassadors to take an active role in their communities and provide them with tools for social transformation.
- Allowing Young Ambassadors to meet scientists from leading Marine Science Institutes in Europe and beyond, contributing to their academic and professional career development.
For detailed information on Black Sea Young Ambassadors’ activities, you can visit the webpage.
Eligibility Criteria & Application Process
Young Ambassadors should be:
- Curious about the world, and the ocean. Interested in community building, science diplomacy, public engagement, education and training, and youth issues.
- Good communicators, and willing to use their creativity, imagination, and communication skills to help promote Blue Economy in the region (via blogs/videos/social media posts/performances and articles).
- Proficient in English, with a high level of English skills in both spoken and written forms
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Aged between 20-35 years.
- Able to travel within their country and/or internationally.
- One of the following: i) early career ocean professional (early in their career – 10 years or less of professional experience – in any field related to the ocean) ii) MSc/MA/Ph.D. student or post-doc researcher who can demonstrate marine and maritime research, policy-relevant science and/or industry, iii) science communicator, iv) environmental NGO, v) activist, vi) science diplomat from the Black Sea countries. viii) a representative from a business/start-up that works with the Blue Economy Sectors.
- Able to volunteer to work as an ambassador until 2024 with possible extension.
- Committed to working in this program for two years from the period November 2022 and 2024 with the possibility of extension.
Application and announcement of results
Applicants are kindly requested to fill in the online application form (with the attachment of their CV) by 15 September 2022.
After reviewing the applications, shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the coordination team in the second half of September 2022. An online interview will be held with them. Selection results will be announced in late October 2022.
For detailed information on the Black Sea Young Ambassadors Programme and Application Criteria please check the “Information for Applicants” document.